American as Apple Pie Ribs
WHAT MALCOM USED IN THIS RECIPE:
- HowToBBQRight Red Handle 6 inch Knife
- Heath Riles Apple Rub
- Thermoworks Thermapen
- Killer Hogs The BBQ Sauce
- Killer Hogs Vinegar Sauce
I’m kicking off a soon-to-be, new, 4th of July tradition with this rib recipe. I call it my “American as Apple Pie Ribs” and it’s a winner!
These ribs really have a nice apple flavor without being to sweet or fruity. The rub, smoke, wrap, and glaze all combine to give the ribs an Apple Pie note that’s perfect for the 4th of July or any time you’re craving a good slab of ribs!
Apple Pie Rib Recipe
- 2 slabs St. Louis cut spare ribs
- 2 Tablespoons Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup Heath Riles Apple Rub
- 1 stick butter cut into pats
- 1 cup apple butter
- 1 cup apple cinder vinegar
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 jar apple jelly
- 1 cup Killer Hogs The BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 cup Killer Hogs Vinegar Sauce
Apple Pie Rib Directions
- Prepare pellet smoker for indirect cooking at 250 degrees using apple pellets for smoke flavor. Any grill or smoker can be used just keep the temp at 250 degrees for the duration of the cook and add apple wood to the coals for smoke flavor.
- Trim and remove the membrane from the ribs, spritz with apple cider vinegar and season with Kosher Salt lightly. Rest the ribs for 15 minutes.
- Apply a medium coat of Heath Riles Apple Rub to all sides of the ribs and rest for 15 minutes before placing on the pit.
- Place each rack on pit and smoke for 2 hours. Spritz the ribs every 45 minutes with apple cider vinegar mixed with apple juice.
- Wrap the ribs in aluminum foil.
- Place 1/2 stick of the butter pats on the foil. Brush the meat side of the ribs with 1/2 the apple butter and lay the ribs meat down on the butter. Spritz the bone side with the cider/juice combo and wrap the ribs tight.
- Place the ribs back on the pit and cook for 1 – 1/2 hours or until tender. Place the apple jelly in a microwave safe bowl along with a splash of apple juice. Heat the jelly for 5 minutes or until melted. Stir it half way thorough heating. Add The BBQ Sauce and Vinegar Sauce. Stir well to combine.
- Remove the ribs from the foil and place meat down on a foil lined backing sheet. Season lightly with more apple rub followed by the apple glaze. Flip the ribs over and apply more apple rub to the meat side (lightly). Place the ribs back on the pit for 5-10 minutes.
- Glaze the meat side of the ribs with the apple/bbq sauce combo. Continue to cook until the sauce sets and starts to caramelize slightly. Stay close because it can get too dark.
- Remove the ribs from the pit and cut into desired portions.