The most delicious parts of a bratwurst… all in juicy cheeseburger form!
The most delicious parts of a bratwurst… all in juicy cheeseburger form
2lbs Bratwurst Sausage Links
- 1 Tablespoon Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 large sweet Onion Thinly Sliced
1 Tablespoon Killer Hogs Steak Rub
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Cattleman's Carolina Gold Mustard Sauce
- 1/4 cup Spicy Brown Mustard
- 1/4 cup Blue Plate Mayonnaise
- Colby Jack Cheese Slices
- Dill Pickle Slices
- Hamburger Buns
Split each bratwurst sausage and remove the meat from the casing. Combine the sausage and portion into 1/2lb patties. Place the formed patties in the refrigerator to firm up for about 15-20 minutes.
- Prepare a grill for 2-zone cooking - hot side and cool side
- Place the brat burger patties on the cool side of the grill and cook until the internal temperature reaches 150 degrees.
- While the burgers are on the cool side of the grill, place a cast iron skillet on the hot side. Add a drizzle of olive oil, and thinly sliced onions, and season with Steak Rub. Cook until the onions are softened and begin to caramelize. Remove the onions from the grill and keep warm until ready to build burgers.
- Once the brat burgers reach 150 degrees internally move them to the hot side of the grill and sear for 1-2 minutes on each side. Move each burger back to the cool side and glaze with the Carolina Gold mustard sauce. Top each burger with a slice of Colby Jack cheese and remove from the grill.
To build the burger: Combine the spicy brown mustard and Blue Plate mayo, spread on the bottom half of a toasted bun, add slices of dill pickle and a brat burger patty, and layer on a little of the caramelized onions. Add the top toasted bun and enjoy!