For this recipe I put an Irish spin on a flat iron steak for St. Patrick’s Day. First I made a quick marinade using Guinness Stout and then I grill the steak over charcoal and serve it with a Guinness Mushroom Sauce.
Guinness Flat Iron Steak
This Flat Iron Steak and potatoes will bring you the Luck of the Irish on St. Patrick’s Day!
- 1 Flat Iron Steak – 1.5lbs
1 Tablespoon Killer Hogs Steak Rub
- 12oz Guinness Stout Beer
- 2oz Worcestershire Sauce
- 2oz Soy Sauce
1 teaspoon Killer Hogs AP Seasoning
- Combine ingredients in a small bowl and use as a marinade for beef.
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1 small shallot finely chopped
- 4–5 cloves garlic minced
- 8oz sliced baby Bella mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 cup Guinness Stout Beer
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon cold water
- Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Add sliced mushrooms and season with AP seasoning. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until mushrooms are tender. Add Worcestershire, soy, and balsamic reduce for 3-4 minutes; add Guinness and reduce volume by half (approx 5-7 minutes). Combine corn starch and cold water in a small bowl and whisk into sauce. Allow the mixture to reach a slight boil and remove from heat. Serve warm over steak.
Guinness Flat Iron Steak Marinade
Guinness Mushroom Sauce
Remove flat iron steak from packaging and trim excess silver skin; place the flat iron in a 1 gallon size zip top bag. Combine the ingredients for the marinade in a small bowl and pour over steak. Marinate for 1 hour.
Prepare charcoal grill for direct grilling at 500 degrees. While grill is heating prepare Guinness Mushroom sauce as directed above.
Remove the flat iron steak from the marinade allowing excess moisture to drip back into zip top bag. Season the steak with Killer Hogs Steak Rub on all sides.
Place the steak on the grill and cook for 5 minutes. rotate the steak after 2.5 minutes to create grill marks. Repeat the same step for the opposite side for a total cook time of 10 minutes or until the steak reaches 125 internal temperature – medium rare.
Rest the flat iron for 5-7 minutes before slicing and serve topped with Guinness Mushroom sauce.